I wrote this article because there were so many people emailing me wanting a remedy with calming herbs.
In addition, many ailments and diseases people experience are a result from stress – the most common being colds and flus.
So, whether you have a condition that resulted from stress or you are experiencing stress and would like to use calming herbs to prevent a condition from happening, this article is for you.
With stress, we are mostly dealing with the nervous system. You may have heard of valerian as one of the most calming herbs. This is a sedation herb. It’s a powerful and useful herb if you are stressed out and can’t sleep, for example, but it isn’t an herb you would want to use every day.
Oatstraw (Avena sativa)
The herb of choice for nervous system nourishment is oatstraw, one of the best calming herbs. Not only is oatstraw incredibly nourishing, it has an affinity for the nervous system.
It is a great herbal remedy for stress.
Drinking an oatstraw infusion daily with not only nourish and tonify your nervous system, it is also builds healthy teeth and bones because it is high in calcium.
An herbal infusion is a drink full of minerals.
These minerals are in whole, complex forms, easily absorbed and used by our bodies. It is different from a tea and is the foundation for daily herbal nourishment.
So, oatstraw is not only one of the most calming herbs, it’s also VERY nutritious.
How to Make an Oatstraw Infusion
What you’ll need…
- 1 ounce oatstraw herb
- Boiling water
- Put the oatstraw in a quart-sized canning jar or a saucepan with a lid.
- Pour boiling water over the herb.
- Cap with the lid.
- Let it sit for 4 to 6 hours to pull the minerals into the solution.
- Strain it out. Making it before you go to bed and straining in the morning is a great idea.
- Oatstraw infusion is a great base for frozen concentrates, lemonade, and juices of all kinds.
- Take the above and make popsicles or ice cubes.
- Oatstraw loves lavender, lemon verbena, rosemary. Add a pinch with the oatstraw to your quart jar.
- Serve your brew with frozen raspberries and sprigs of herbs.
Drink this infusion of calming herbs every day!